Egg Free | Gluten Free | Nut Free | Sugar Free
A low-carb, quick and easy oven baked Salmon with Greek yogurt recipe for those no fuss dinner nights. Serve it with a side of sauteed vegetables and boiled Basmati rice for a complete meal.
You know that feeling when we discover a new cuisine only to find out that the spices used in that cuisine are also used in the same cuisine we cook our food in all the time. Did I just use the word cuisine 3 times in the same sentence? Because, this should tell you how excited I am about this discovery.
Yeah, like who knew that the spices used in Moroccan food will have so many similarities with South Asian, queue: Pakistani food.
It’s like when I am visiting a new town without any Pakistani restaurants and get a craving for Pakistani food, only to end up at a Mexican restaurant. Next closest thing anyone? Surely, I am not the only one who feels this way.
The Story Behind This Recipe
So recently I had some Salmon fillets sitting in my freezer. Salmon in my home is tricky business I tell you. Me & my father in law love it. Mr "M", not so much. So I rarely make it, and even then I am always on the lookout, and try to find ways to make it in a way where it tastes less "fishy". As I was looking for a unique salmon recipe, I came across multiple recipes of Moroccan Salmon. Some were cooked on the stove and some in the oven, but they all had a couple of main ingredients in common. These ingredients looked familiar & extremely interesting. So, there I went measuring & mixing to see what we can come up with.
And, lo & behold. We get this.
Perfectly moist fish with a very unique blend of lemon, Greek yogurt, cumin, coriander and parsley.
Prior to this, I have never had Moroccan food. So, the flavors in my mouth were a delicious surprise to say the least.
So, if you live in Houston, TX and know of any good Moroccan joints. Do let me know in the comments below. Because, this woman sure wants to explore a bit more now. In the meantime. Let's make this recipe below.
Broiled Moroccan Salmon
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Pan
- 4, 4 oz Salmon fillets add 3 slits on the fleshy side of each piece
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon leveled salt
- ½ teaspoon leveled ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Olive Oil spray as required
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- In a bowl, make the sauce by mixing everything together except fish, and 1 tablespoon parsley. Reserve half of the sauce.
- Now, add fish in the rest of the sauce. Coat the pieces well, and let them sit for 5 to 30 minutes. The longer, the better.
- Next, line a baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil for easy cleanup. Spray olive oil on the baking sheet and place the salmon fillets skin side up.
- Change the oven setting and broil the fish on high for 4 minutes.
- Then, take the pan out. Gently flip the pieces. Spray some olive oil on the fish, and broil on high for 6 minutes or till it turns a nice golden-brown color.
- Gently place the Salmon on a serving platter. Drizzle the rest of the sauce, sprinkle parsley and serve as is, or with a side of boiled Basmati rice and sauteed vegetables. Enjoy!
Note: The nutritional info is based on ingredients used in The UnModern Woman’s kitchen. Depending on the brand of ingredients used, nutritional count may or may not be approximate.
Have a question or thoughts about this recipe?
I love getting feedback. Please let me know in the comment section below : )
Sana aka The UnModern Woman